Personal Eye View
Tuesday, October 18, 2005
  An excellent series but nasty comments sometimes!
Hi Bloggers, I wanted to share with you my comments about Beyond Boundaries.

First of all I am truly loving the series because of two reasons, the first being that all of the members who took part in this gruelling trek are bloody fantastic and should be proud of all acheiving something to conquer their worries and upsets over doing the trek and challenging their disabilities and abilities.

Second what really bugs me is some of the comments that seem to happen on the Beyond Boundaries Board on Ouch and it upsets me by the way that people are slating and saying nasty comments about the members which then starts to cause flame wars again. Even Wizard of Ouch stepped in and told them not to but they still did it.As you lot aren't to blame, I am not saying anything bad about you, I'm just worried about the new people in case they start to misuse the boards and break the house rules.

I have been on two expeditions myself even though not in Nicaragua, and I found it tough because I had to keep on striving to get my Duke of Edinburgh's award, and I have difficulty in walking like the Beyond Boundaries lot so know how they feel.

Also I really care about people with disabilities and am truly amazed and heartened by the true grit and dtermination these people on Beyond Boundaries have by carrying on even though it's hard and they feel hurt and sore by their disability.

They should all be glad that they have achieved so much and they didn't want to stop even though they lost Warren and Glenn who went back home to England.
 
Comments:
Nice looking blog! Would appreciate your comments on my site at on home improvement loans It pretty much covers home improvement loans and more.
 
Katie

Like in Big Brother, viewers are bound to take sides and like some contestants more than others. And they will tend to criticise those they don't like much. That's a risk the participants take when they go on "reality" telly.

However, most of the comments on Ouch! are about the programme itself rather than the individuals. Many disabled people find it a bit tasteless to be clasified by non-disabled people as 'special' or 'brave' when they are just getting on with their lives in the only way that they can. And many are objecting to the idea the programme appears to be putting forward that all disabled people just need a bit of grit and determination to overcome their impairments; it makes those of us who couldn't overcome our impairments, no matter how much we tried, feel really bad about ourselves because it feels like others will be judging us unfairly.

Dude
 
I agree with Dude. I would also like to say there are people who have been involved in plane crashes in the jungle and other hostile terrains and been injured who would not see the point of it. Some of the team may suffer later from injuries/disease they get from this venture.

The rivalry amongst fans is what the producers wanted as it boosts viewing figures and a chance of a second series.

Like your blog.
 
I think they're brave - anyone treking through that jungle IS brave.

What an achievement.

BTW - great blog site, Katie!

HappyKea
 
Hi Katie,
I enjoyed your posts on Ouch too.
I noticed you've already gotten a spam trying to leave it so that we could comment. Ergh!
Thanks for the risk.
I wish we could get the Beyond Boundaries Show here in the US. It may be that we can, and I just don't know what network it's on.
I was listening to some of the Ouch message board about it last night. I've thought about signing up for the Ouch message boards but am not sure if I'd post enough. I'm also not sure if you have to be from UK only or if it's okay if you're from US. I'm trying to figure out the hours thing. Is it that you can only post during certain hours? I love the Ouch!
Love your blog as well. Congrats on being an Ouch blogger!
Hope you had, or are still having a great time at the seminar!
 
Hi, Katie -

I left a message over on the BB thread, apologising for my horrible patronising post. It was 'cos I misread what you'd written. I was tired and wobbling a little more than usual!

Anyway, I'll say sorry here, too. Sorry! We don't all have to agree about everything - the Ouch messageboards would be boring if we did, and I think it's important for disabled people to discuss their different opinions about things which affect us.

But I'm sorry I offended you. I didn't mean to, I just made a mistake. I've learnt not to try and read posts when I'm tired!

I'll get off your blog now, but hope to see you back on Ouch soon.

Wilma
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
The ever changing world of a thirty something woman who seems to be fiercely independent now!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Caring,fun loving person who finds life strange and unusual in a mad way but always ends up liking things!

ARCHIVES
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005 / 06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005 / 07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005 / 08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005 / 09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005 / 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005 / 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005 / 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006 / 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006 / 02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006 / 03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006 / 04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006 / 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006 / 06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006 / 07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006 / 09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006 / 11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006 / 12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007 / 01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007 /


Powered by Blogger